Seasonal influenza places a large burden on the health and well-being of children and families.1 In the 2012-2013 season, approximately 90% of pediatric deaths occurred in unvaccinated children.2 Despite your continued efforts to vaccinate3:
- An average of 20,000 children <5 years of age are hospitalized for influenza-related complications1
- 154 influenza-related pediatric deaths were reported to the CDC4,b
- - 123 deaths were reported in 2010-2011 and 34 deaths were reported in 2011-20124
- 40% of deaths occurred in children with no recognizable chronic health problems2
- Of deaths reported, 37% were in children <5 years of age and 47% were in children with no known risk factors5
Pediatric influenza vaccine coverage rates 2011-2012 season
In the 2009-2010 influenza season, only 35% of children 6 through 23 months of age and 23% of children 6 months through 18 years of age were fully vaccinated for influenza.8The CDC and the AAPc recommend annual vaccination in children ≥6 months of age, with rare exception9,10
The CDC recommends 2 doses at least 4 weeks apart for children 6 months through 8 years of age who have not been adequately primed, including children in this age group who are receiving influenza vaccine for the first time.11,a
b CDC = Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
c AAP = American Academy of Pediatrics.
Fluzone vaccine use in childrenDosage/schedule
Adapted from the CDC.
Consider 4-strain protection against influenza
Above is a dosing chart for Fluzone vaccine. For 4-strain protection against the second B strain, consider Fluzone Quadrivalent Influenza vaccine. This quadrivalent vaccine is indicated for active immunization of persons 6 months of age and older.13
Fluzone Vaccine Presentations
For children 6 months of age and older12
- 5 mL multidose vial, either 0.25 mL dose or 0.5 mL dose
Fluzone vaccine storage and handling
Store all Fluzone vaccine presentations refrigerated at 2°C to 8°C (35°F to 46°F). DO NOT FREEZE. Discard if vaccine has been frozen. Between uses, return the multidose vial to the recommended storage conditions at 2°C to 8°C (35°F to 46°F).12
Do not use after the expiration date shown on the label.12Back to top